1. Chess Journalist of the Year: Awarded to the person who has contributed the most to chess journalism in the past year. Only work from the past year will be considered. CJA members vote by mail ballot to select the winner; please provide résumé for CJA website.
2. Best Chess Column: Submit three columns from the past year.
3. Best State Magazine: Submit two issues from the past year.
4. Most Notable Achievement in Correspondence Chess: For journalistic work of any type regarding correspondence chess.
5. Best Chess Art: Send a magazine cover, Internet display, cartoon, etc.
6. Best Photograph: A single photograph portraying some aspect of chess.
7. Best Tournament Report: A story of one tournament occurring in the past year.
8. Best Newspaper Column: Send three columns from the past year. Special award given to best column of local interest; please mark the appropriate box on the cover sheet if the entry is eligible for this award.
9. Best Chess Website: Open to news sites, “blogs”, state websites, and so on. Special award given to the best example of each type of website.
10. Best Historical Article: For articles describing an aspect of chess history, especially those tying chess history to social or cultural events from the past.
11. Best Interview: Shows skill in eliciting instructive, revealing responses.
12. Best Editorial: Clear stand on a chess issue.
13. Best Review: For reviews of books, software, etc.
14. Best Analysis: For openings, middlegames, endgames, games, or groups of games analyzed deeply.
15. Best Instructive Lesson: For written lessons. (Should be a lesson, not just an annotated game.)
16. Best Humorous Contribution: Open to chess jokes, satire, irony, parody, etc. Judges decide appropriateness.
17. Special Recognition Award: For entries that do not fit comfortably into any other category.
18. Excellence in Chess Writing, Mainstream Media: Entries ineligible for other categories. Awarded to chess writing in a mainstream publication (defined as a magazine listed in the Readers’ Guide to Periodical Literature). Regular chess features ineligible. No fees are applicable for this category.