Minutes of 1994 Annual Meeting of CJA
August 10, 1994
By Tim Just, CJA Secretary/Treasurer
August 10, 1994, 3:00 p.m.
- TREASURER'S REPORT
- The CJA bank balance is $1254.18. President Ira Riddle pointed out
the prizes for the CJA awards had yet to be paid.
- CJA AWARDS
MOTION by L. Parr, second by S. Robes: The CJA awards program
shall charge the following fees:
- $5 per item entered for members,
- $8 per item entered for non-members,
- $1.50 per item entered for members and non-members once a cap
of $50 is reached by any sumbitting party.
A discussion of promotional ideas centered around articles being released to all chess publications regarding the current work of the CJA and/or CJA history.
The corrected 1994 CJA awards were announced by Ira Riddle. (That report can be found on page 3 or this issue.)
The following items were discussed:
- The Chess Journalist is eligible for CJA awards.
- Individual articles are eligible for CJA awards even if the journal it appears in has a spotty publication schedule.
- A magazine is considered a state magazine if the largest per cent of its subscribers are from that state.
- Opening analysis and end game analysis will be considered two different categories from game analysis for purpose of the CJA awards program.
- Books are not eligible for the CJA awards program.
- For CJA awards, a small state magazine can only have a circulation of 1000 or less.
MOTION: Release the names of the judges and their categories
for all CJA awards programs. PASSED.
MOTION: The category of press releases shall be created
for the CJA awards program. PASSED 8-7.
- CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS
- MOTION: Elections shall be by mail ballot. FAILED
(The constitution already provides for elections by mail under ARTICLE
- CRAMER AWARDS
- Fred Cramer provided in his will for awards in chess journlism.
Those awards are administered by the USCF through a grant from the
ACF. There was concern that the CJA had no input in the selection
of the winners of the Cramer awards. It was felt that the intent of
Mr. Cramer's will was to provide the CJA with input in the selection
of those prizes. Rachel Lieberman will report the CJA concerns to
the Policy Board.
- Larry Parr and Sylvester Robes provided a lively and entertaining
Please send all corrections and additions to Tim Just.